Monday, April 30, 2012

The Ball is Rolling

It feels great now that things are moving. The fundraising site is starting to collect donations. But, there is a long way to go.

First, if you haven't been here before, or didn't get my email today, I'm a father of a child with Autism and I'm competing in the 2012 US Masters Swimming Summer Nationals, and raising money for the Ozark Center For Autism. Go here for more intro blog.

Today I sent out a fundraising email, and revealed a new twist. Here it is:

I am usually very private with my swimming goals, but I’m going to share some with you. Why? I’ll use it as incentive to work harder for the cause. I’ll tell you a goal, and you can contact me to pledge that you’ll donate a certain amount if I reach it. I’ll keep track of the pledges and post where they are periodically on my blog. It will be informal, and on the honor system, it will be up to you to honor your pledge if I reach my goal. Here is the first goal for you to pledge for. If you don’t like it, there will be more. They will all be good though.

Goal to Pledge for:
FINA (the international governing body of swimming) each year produces World Top 10 lists for each age group in masters swimming. They also keep an all-time top 10 list. I used to have a couple of swims on the all-time list, but over the years, I moved farther down the list, and in 2009, I got bumped off. I want to get back on that list. Right now that means faster than 30.52 in the 50 meter breast, 1:08.21 in the 100 breast, or 2:31.76 in the 200 breast. This could be a moving target, as others could go faster between now & then. I will keep an eye out for faster swims, and if those times change, I’ll post them on my blog before my race. If you want to motivate me, make a pledge to donate if I reach this goal. Just contact me with your pledge, I’ll put you on the list. You can donate after I reach my goal!

I'm very excited about this! I'm hoping it will generate some interest, and motivate people to follow along in my journey!

Training update: This morning I set out to get back on track after a slow finish to last week. A gym workout was on the schedule, and I picked 2 of the toughest workouts I've done recently, both from Workout Trainer by Skimble. First was called Weight Circuit Program, followed by Fat Burner Deluxe. I walked away with burning muscles and drenched in sweat. I've been feeling the effects all day, my legs are particularly angry with me. They'll get over it, sometime in late June!

No comments:

Post a Comment