Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Very Sad May Day

It's a typical spring day in Kansas City. I look out the window at partly cloudy skies, not more than 90 minutes after thunder, lightning, and a downpour. But, this is a somber day, for me and every breast stroker around the world. Shortly after arriving at the office after workout this morning, I learned that reigning world champion in the 100 meter breaststroke, Alexander Dale Oen of Norway collapsed and died last night at the age of 26.

Even if you don't recall Alex's world championship swim, you probably remember the circumstances. It was just a few short days after a crazed lunatic bombed a building killing 16 shortly before going to a children's camp and murdering another 77. Alex stepped up when his country needed something to smile about, something to be proud of. He became a national hero.

What kind of person is he? See these qutoes from after that race, and judge for yourself.
"I just tried to symbolise to people back home that we need to stay united and be together in times like these," he said. "Just stand together. Be one. Everyone back home is paralysed by what happened but it was important for me to symbolise that even though I'm here in China, I'm able to feel the same emotions." http://www.swimnews.com/

What I really loved was this: Alex's time in that race was 58.71, the fastest ever by anyone not wearing a rubber suit (which is now banned). He actually came very close to the world record of 58.58. Here is what he said about his swim and that record:
"I could have broken the record if I had paced it better. But that swim came from my heart. I was very emotional. I swam for my king, my country and our people who need to feel our love and support." http://www.swimnews.com/
You have to respect that!

And finally, this morning my friend Jeff Commings, who had a chance to interview Alex recently, wrote this article.

Although I'll have to revise my pick for the gold medal in London, we all must go on. Training this morning was a solid effort. I walked into Roeland Park Aquatic Center, and was surprised to see it set up for 50 meters, not the 25 yard pool I was expecting. Nothing special about the workout, just hard work in a crowded lane of 7 swimmers.

5/1/2012
                     Qty
Meters
Interval
Total      Mtrs
1
900
900
Warm up
16
50
1:10
800
Odds Free
Kick
0
Evens Not Free
4
200
3:45
800
Pull
1; All Free, 2 150 Free 50 Not Free
0
3; 100 Free 100 Not Free, 4 50 Free 150 Not Free
1
200
200
Easy
12
100
1:45
1200
Odds; 25 Stroke 50 Free, 25 Stroke
0
Evens; 25 Free 50 Stroke 25 Free
0
All Free is Easy, All Stroke is Fast!
1
200
200
Cool Down



0


4100
Meters
2.547622
Miles

1 comment:

  1. Here is video of the interview Jeff had with Alex Dale Oen. http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/lane9/news/MorningSwimShow/30427.asp?q=Alexander%20Dale%20Oen:%20The%20Final%20Interview

    ReplyDelete