Monday, May 21, 2012

May 22

Today is May 22, 2012. What does that mean. Well, if you are an obsessed swimming fan like me, you know today crews begin erection of two temporary pools at the Century Link Center in Omaha to be used for the U.S. Olympic Trials. But, you have probably noticed in the news, especially if you within 2 or 3 television markets of SW Missouri, it is an important one year anniversary, . May 22, 2011 brought the deadlyist single tornado in U.S. History to Joplin, MO.

First, if you haven't been here before, I'm a father of a child with Autism and I'm competing in the 2012 US Masters Swimming Summer Nationals, and raising money for the Ozark Center For Autism. Go here for my intro blog.

Rather than hash over all that happened that afternoon in Joplin, and everyday since, I'll tell you about I recall from that day. It was already going to be a memorable day. My oldest son Evan, 9 at the time, had just started swim team a few weeks before with the Tiger Sharks Swim Team in Olathe, KS. We soon learned the team was invited to partcipate in a Mutual of Omaha Breakout Swim Clinic. I thought it might be a good opportunity. Then my wife read of to me the names of who was running the clinic. It would be Rex Tulius, Dagney Knutson, and Brendan Hansen. That was all I needed to hear. Brendan Hansen is a two time Olympian, a former World Record Holder, and a bit of a breaststroke legend. Being a breaststroker myself, I couldn't wait to meet him.

The clinic was very impressive. I was really impressed at how good Rex, Dagney, and Brendan were with the kids. They first came out, one at a time, to give an inspirational talk about the sport of swimming, and what it means to them. They split the kids into three groups, and rotated them to work on a variety of swimming skills. Then a Q & A session, before giving every single kid a chance to race one of them. Before heading home, they stuck around for autographs and pictures for every kid that wanted one. As brief as that description was, it was a full 5 hours, a very full 5 hours. That was $50 well spent!

Here is  Rex, Dagney, and Brendan with Evan. And yes, that is the real deal around Evan's neck. An Olympic Gold Medal from Beijing 2008.

































It was a great day, and left Evan, and myself inspired. The Rezek family will be in Omaha the end of next month to cheer on these Rex, Dagney, and Brendan to make the 2012 U.S. Olympic team.

Now, I don't recall much else of what happened that day. I do recall keeping an eye on the weather, as we were warned of the potential of severe storms. I don't think we got anything in Olathe. But when my wife and I went to bed, we could see on the news a tornado had touched down in Joplin. It was pitch dark, so nobody was able to report the extent of the damage. But, they could see enough to know it was bad. They had no idea. The destruction was beyond imagination.

Included in that destruction was The Ozark Center for Autism. I'm raising funds to help them rebuild, and continue operations during the rebuilding process. The work this clinic is doing is helping make those suffering with Autism be more productive members of society, thus building a stronger community. If you want to help this community that has suffered so much, please go to my donation page.

TRAINING:
How is my training going? Well, it's crunch time! I only have a few weeks to get some good hard work in before I begin to taper for the USMS Summer Nationals. I have to make these next 3 weeks the best I've ever had. Every workout has to be solid. This morning I did my Workout Trainer app by Skimble. The workouts I chose today: I did Heavy Lifter twice, then Cut & Chiseled twice, and finally Fat Burner Deluxe. For a few minutes I thought I would puke, but I pulled through, so it was just about perfect. Tomorrow I'm in the pool. Every stroke counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment