Thursday, June 7, 2012

TAKE THAT AUTISM!!

We have a few major victories in the Rezek house lately. We have a friend in the Autism community named Jennifer Smith. She has two children on the spectrum. Occasionally we'll see on Facebook where she has a sees one of her kids make some progress, or perform some act that most normal kids do, but she has never seen her kids do because of their struggles with Autism. When this type of victory happens, she says "Take That Autism!!"

First, if you haven't been here before, I'm a father of a child with Autism and I'm competing in the 2012 US Masters Swimming Summer Nationals, and raising money for the Ozark Center For Autism. Go here for my intro blog.
Victory #1:
A few weeks ago Stacy took Quin to the doctor because of some of his behaviors were getting quite worrisome. That resulted in Quin now being on medication to try to get those behaviors in check. Usually he has no trouble taking his medicine. But, apparently this stuff tastes awful. With the first attempt, the medicine spewed from his mouth as soon as it went in it. That's when we learned this medicine not only tastes awful, it is also one of the stickiest and hardest to clean substances known to mankind. The second attempt was a long, difficult struggle, which basically ended with us forcing it into his throat, and keeping it there until he had no choice but to swallow. I was not warm to the idea of medicating my son in the first place, and this wasn't helping. I knew we were in trouble when we tried mixing it in chocolate ice cream, and that didn't work either. This has to be terrible stuff to ruin chocolate ice cream. We gave up on mixing it, and just fought the fight. The only thing we added was offering him two Jolly Rancher Chews after his medicine. The fight became less and less each night, and last night, he took it willingly. WINNING!!

TAKE THAT AUTISM!!

Victory #2:
Since Quin was old enough to play, he has been fascinated with anything that spins. That basically means either fans, or wheels. Since his cousin got him a Razor scooter for Christmas (thanks Aunt Paula!!), it has been one of his favorite things to do. I follow him around on a bicycle, just to make sure he doesn't snoop around peoples cars or run inside neighbors garages, because he does that. Usually while he is out there, his brother Evan is zooming around on his bicycle. A few months ago, Quin just went and grabbed smallest bicycle that does NOT have training wheels and took it to the sidewalk. He needed a ton of assistance. I would give him a little push, and he would keep his feet on the pedals for about half a turn, and put his feet down. We did this for 2 solid months, with no progress. I didn't push it much though. He was having fun, he'll get it at his own pace. And it burned some calories for me, so it wasn't a waste. Then Monday night, he got on the bike, and as usual said "I need some help". I gave him a little shove, and he took off. He pedaled about 50' before he stopped. As I was trying to catch up, I started to tell him I'd be there to help him start again. I was too late. He got started, and took off on his own! Now he has that part figured out. If I can just get him to use the brakes....

TAKE THAT AUTISM!!

Training is going fairly well. I've been getting in my workouts, and pleased with my performance while doing them. But, the workouts with my team this week, were really not what I needed. We did sets like 9 x 200s, and 5 x 400s. I need to be going fast right now. Every workout I need to be doing some fast 100s and or 50s. I love training with my team mates. But they all understand I think I need to do my own thing from now until the meet next month.

I am thinking about what I have to do, and getting pretty nervous. I'm going to have a big load of racing. I have the Kansas City Corporate Challenge meet June 25th to 28th. I'll have 8 races in 4 days. That actually works out well, that's what I'll need in that part of my taper. Then at USMS Summer Nationals July 6th to 8th, I'll have 10 races in 3 days. That's a pretty big load. A total of 18 races, good thing only 5 of them are more than 50 meters!

Monday and Wednesday were gym workouts. I'm still using the Workout Trainer app by Skimble. Monday was Wicked Weights, 15 Min Core Booster Abs, and Power Challenge. Wednesday was Sexy Swinging Dumbbells, Heavy Lifter, and Military Legs & Ab Superset. I'm really getting used to these types of workouts, and learning how to get the most out of them I think I'll be pleased with the results.

Swimming workouts were Tuesday & Thursday:


6/5/2012
QtyMetersIntervalTotal Mtrs
1700700100 Free, 50 Stroke….
311002:00300StrokeKick 
 6501:00900Stroke,Odds Drill,Evens Swim
     1st set Fly, 2nd Back, 3rd Brst
1200200Easy
92001800Start at 200 Free on #1
0Add 25 of brst on end ea 200
0End w/ 200 Brst on #9
1200200Cool Down
   0  
4100Meters
2.547622Miles



6/7/2012
QtyMetersIntervalTotal Mtrs
1300300FreeSwimEasy
1200200I.M.25K25S
1300300FreeSwimMod
1200200I.M.25D25S
71002:00700IM aroundOdds; 25S25K25D25S
0Evens; Swim
1200200Easy
0
41002:00400I.M.Swim
1400400FreePullBrth, 3,5,7,3 by 50s
22004:00400I.M.Swim
1400400FreePullDPS
1400400I.M.
1200200Cool Down
   0  
4100Meters
2.547622Miles


Hope you have a wonderful weekend. My next blog I hope to report how Evan did in his Iron Kids Triathlon on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment