Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Inspiration

Last weekend, my family and I traveled to Omaha, NE for the US Olympic Trials for Swimming. It was an awesome experience, one that I'm very glad we did, considering that meet may never be this close to our home again.

First, if you haven't been here before, I'm a father of a child with Autism and I'm competing in the 2012 US Masters Swimming Summer Nationals, and raising money for the Ozark Center For Autism. Go here for my intro blog.

Trials were in Omaha for a second time, having been there in 2008. USA Swimming thought it went so well, they didn't even take bids for 2012. I understand 13 cities are now working on their bids for 2016, so another Trials in Omaha is not looking good. I did make it to one prelims session in 2008. Our children were too young at that time to sit through a long swim meet, so I just had my wife drop me off on the corner so I could take in some of the trials myself. I really wanted to do it because I actually played a role in constructing the arena and convention center the meet was held in, I wanted to see what it looke like with a pool in it. It looked amazing. My seats were impressive as well, and I saw many swimming superstars up close.

Fast forward to 2012: My oldest son Evan is 10, and is in his second year of swim team. My youngest son Quin is 8, and although his Autism does not let him sit still for long periods, we decided to suck it up, and bring him along to make it a family experience. And as some of you know, my wife Stacy and I met on a masters swim team, and is as big a swimming fan as you will find. So, you can imagine for at least 3 of us, the excitement level was pretty high. We bought tickets for Saturday June 30, pretty much because that was the only day that worked in my schedule. I don't think we could have picked a better day.

In prelims, we got to watch my co-worker Tony Diers swim the 50 free. Then we stuck around to watch what was likely a final swim for the career of swimming legend Janet Evans. So glad we did that, a very cool moment.

Then we spent maybe 2 hours in the AquaZone (basically the 'expo' that goes with the meet). It was very cool, with lots of great activities. Evan wanted to do all of them, Quin wanted to do none! Fortunately the people at the BMW exhibit were very friendly, and let kids climb in and all over 3 different $90,000 cars as much as they wanted. So, Quin was happy, and Stacy was able to take Evan arould to most of the exhibits, although the lines for the mechanical shark and the endless pool were just too long.

After a giant lunch with Stacy's Dad and Step Mom at one of my all time favorite restaruants, Lo Sole Mio, we headed back towards the arena with over an hour to kill. So we stopped by a restaraunt/bar called the Old Mattress Factory, and followed non-other than Brendan Hansen into the door. Shortly after arriving, some guys with TYR told us Ricky Berens would be there in 10 minutes. So Evan got an autograph and photo with him. Just an awesome experience, one of those last second decisions we were really glad we made!

So we headed into the arena for finals. If I have to put it into a word, I would have to use epic! Everything about it was incredible. The lights, the sounds, the pyrotechnics, the crowd, the stories and interviews, and of course the racing, it was all amazing. We got to see Ryan Lochte win the 200 back, as well as young phenom Missy Franklin winning the semi-final in her 200 back. We watched another historic race between Michael Phelps and Ryan Lochte in the 200 I.M.. The highlight for me was a bit unexpected. For years I've been following a swimmer named Jessica Hardy. She is primarily a breaststoker that has added freestyle to her program. She made the team in 2008, but then was forced to leave the team before going to Beijing because of a possitive drug test. She soon proved the positive test resulted from a tainted suplement. She got her suspension reduced, and got cleared to make a run for the 2012 Olympics. She owns the world record in the 100 breast, and that looked to be her best shot at making the team. But, just 2 nights prior she finished 3rd in that event, just missing making the team. She had a couple of more chances. Most figured she had a chance in the 100 free to finish top 6 to get her on the relay. Then in front of my own eyes, she surprised all swimming fans by finishing 1st! It was an awesome moment, and I'll never forget the look on Jessica's face as we saw it on the big screen!

It was a magical day, but I wouldn't say it went smoothly for us. Autism bit us several times through out the day. There were multiple fits including screaming, and falling to the floor. We took those in stride though. What was much more difficult was the taking off and running. I made the mistake of wearing flip flops, but was still able to catch up with him. But, I can tell you it is no fun when in front of a large crowd to accidentally 'tackle' your young child when trying to grab him. It's okay, I stopped worrying about what other people think a long time ago.

We leave for Omaha again tomorrow, and I'll get to compete in that very same pool. Going to watch Trials was quite an inspiration. I should be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment